Thursday, December 30, 2010

My last dessert with sugar for a year

I had some great friends over for dinner last night and I made three things that I have never cooked before and have wanted to for a long time. Roast chook followed by a pavlova topped with lemon curd and in season strawberries. I served roast potatoes and tomatoes, plus steamed baby carrots with the chicken and the whole meal was a success.

I'm glad that I snuck that pav in before the year ends because it is the best one I have ever had. Proud? Yes!! Although, I did raise my eyebrows at the 400 grams of sugar that I needed for the entire dessert. I used Karen Martini's pav recipe from her cookbook and this brilliant lemon curd recipe which produced a beautifully yellow, tart curd. I'll be saving that recipe for 2012. Although, I have been told that when you stop eating sugar and return a long while later, desserts and chocolate are sickly sweet. I think I have already had a lifetime supply of sweets so that wouldn't be the worst outcome of the impending challenge.

Today didn't pass without chocolate... thankfully only two sleeps remain until My Year Without Sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment