Monday, December 27, 2010

Grocery Shop

The fridge was empty today. I have found that if I have a food plan in place I look forward to my upcoming meals and think less about snacking. I had a long list of items that I need for my roast chook and pavlova dinner party that I am having in a few nights but I also picked out a yummy sounding recipe for tonight's dinner.

With my list in tow I headed down to the supermarket and loaded my trolley up with everything I need and a truckload of veggies. The shop was quite enjoyable because I knew how each item was going to be used and I was so looking forward to trying a new recipe for dinner.

I made Jill Dupleix's Greek spinach pie with tomatos and feta. One of my favourite dishes growing up was my grandmother's spanikopita with spinach and feta or leek and feta - absolute flaky, salty heaven. However I can't eat food high in fructose anymore so that rules out the filo and leek. So Dupleix' dish includes the spinach and feta combo with brown rice. As I usually do these days, I substituted finely chopped celery for the onion and I popped some parsley on the finished dish. I served it up with some great tzaziki that I whipped up which was loaded with dill and mint. The whole meal was so satisfying that I wasn't even thinking about sweets after dinner. I think that will be a key to living without sugar: eat meals that are satisfying and tasty. Yum.

I did eat chocolate today - a bit of Black & Green Milk Choc with Butterscotch shards. How am I going to live without chocolate? It is going to be a serious challenge.

Four days until My Year Without Sugars begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment