Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

Believe it or not, I am almost looking forward to this no sugar excursion. I just went to the supermarket at 9pm and there were shoppers doing their Christmas grocery shopping in a bit of a frenzy and so many people were throwing chocolate into their baskets that it made me feel a bit flat. I know it's a common gift but 1- its boring and 2- it is no good for us. Less relevant point number 3 - people often opt for seriously shit chocolate as well which makes it even more offensive. If anyone ever buys me a box of Roses, I am going to stalk them and then hide and at an opportune moment I will pelt them with the individually wrapped choco-dung pellets. Until they cry.

Let's ponder some fairly inexpensive food gifts that we could buy instead of a box of chocolate.
  • Good extra virgin olive oil
  • Nuts
  • Dried fruit
  • Fancy salt (being the recipient of some a few years ago, I give this one a personal tick)
  • GOOD QUALITY Balsamic vingegar. The cheap stuff is from the devil. Spend $4 more and then it can go in my mouth.Or,
  • Apple balsamic which is genius
  • Pomegranate molassas (if they like Middle Eastern flavours)
  • Dukkah mix (see above)
  • A spanking chutney or jam that has been made by a person and doesn't have artificial colours. 
  • Some rosewater - it usually comes in nice bottles
  • A pineapple - I gave one to my sister once as a mini-house warming gift and she loved it. This might only work if they like pineapple...
Any more ideas?

This list makes me realise that I am a food snob. So why do i eat so much sugary rubbish? Perhaps if I indulge that food snob a bit more, the next year might be a touch easier?

7 days to go until My Year Without Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment